Show Yourself to Me: Queer Kink Erotica
Author: Xan West
Published by: Go Deeper Press
Type of book: anthology
In Show Yourself to Me: Queer Kink Erotica, Xan West introduces us to pretty boys and nervous boys, vulnerable tops and dominant sadists, good girls and fierce girls and scared little girls, mean Daddies and loving Daddies and Daddies that are terrifying in delicious ways.
Submissive queers go to alleys to suck cock, get bent over the bathroom sink by a handsome stranger, choose to face their fears, have their Daddy orchestrate a gang bang in the park, and get their dream gender-play scene—tied to a sling in an accessible dungeon.
Dominants find hope and take risks, fall hard and push edges, get fucked and devour the fear and tears that their sadist hearts desire.
Within these 24 stories, you will meet queers who build community together, who are careful about how they play with power, who care deeply about consent. You will meet trans and genderqueer folks who are hot for each other, who mentor each other, who do the kind of gender play that is only possible with other trans and genderqueer folks.
This is Show Yourself to Me. Get ready for a very wild ride.”
Truth is truth: I am not the greatest at reviewing books. Give me any movie and I can probably talk your ears off about it, but when it comes to books… nope. I clam up. Especially when it comes to my own chosen genre of writing – there’s something about reading a work of erotica (be it an anthology or a novel) for review that makes it more into a learning experience for my own writing than a coherent review of a book.
I thrive on curiosity and learning from the words of others, to the point where I don’t really want to share what I have learned in the form of a review – I’d much rather like to show you what I have learned in the form of my next story.
When author Xan West announced that they were looking for bloggers to host the book tour of their new anthology, Show Yourself to Me: Queer Kink Erotica, I knew I wanted to get on board. I’d been following Xan’s blog for some time, gaining glimpses into a world of writing which lay, at first sight, miles and miles away from my own. Xan writes with such eloquence and passion and knowledge about their experiences and how they fit into Xan’s writing (which, if you’ve been following the blog tour to this stop, you will by now no doubt know) that I was more than raring to read the twenty-four stories of hot queer kink between the covers of this book.
And I did say to Xan that I would be reviewing each story seperately. Which was my full intention until I actually read the book and found myself rather lost for words – in a good way. A very, very good way.
Show Yourself to Me is not just an anthology of Xan’s erotica, it’s an anthology of one person’s journey as both a writer and a human being. With the roots of some of the stories dating back fifteen years, Xan has put together a running thread of intense evolution.
And my God… if I had to review each of these twenty-four stories separately, I’d probably have an entire thesis by the end of it. A thesis which would most likely be titled When I Grow Up, I Want to Write Like Xan West.
Deeply considered, politically aware, with characters that are people and not labels. Visceral, honest, real stories – the book opens with a note on content (Xan discusses this, here with Oleander Plume – a must read), a guide to assist you in avoiding what you don’t want to read and seeking out what you do – that don’t shy away from showing all aspects of the kink dynamic, even the uglier sides. Intelligent erotica, grounded in real life. Writing that grabs you by the collar and stays with you for long after. Queer kink which makes you think, long and hard about what you’ve just read.
This is what Show Yourself to Me offers you. It sees the fantasy and shakes its head, choosing instead for reality. It’s raw and glorious and human – and, as Malin James put it, you don’t have to be kinky, queer, trans, dominant, submissive or sexually fluid in any way to relate to these characters or the situations they navigate. You simply have to be a person open to feeling.
And that, right there, is why I want to write like Xan when I grow up.
If you want to read more of Xan, I suggest heading over to Kink Praxis (their blog) – or you can trace the steps of this blog tour to read more about Show Yourself to Me, its stories, the things portrayed in them and the writer themselves.
The tour so far…
- October 1: Xan West Queer Kink Praxis
- October 2: Book Birthday! Go Deeper Press To Celebrate the Launch of Show Yourself to Me, an Interview with Xan West
- October 3: Heather Elizabeth Show Yourself To Me
- October 4: Sinclair Sexsmith The Tender Sweet Young Thing
- October 5: Hermia Swann Reading in Cuntext: Show Yourself To Me
- October 6: Dilo Keith On Knights, D/s and Service — Guest Post by Xan West and Cecilia Tan Xan West: Kinkster scribe of viscerally thinky erotica
- October 7: Kinky Brits Show Yourself To Me
- October 8: Stella Harris Show Yourself To Me
- October 9: F. Leonora Solomon Xan West Shows Themself to Us With Their New Book Release!!!
- October 10: Tasha Harrison Writing Disability Into Erotica
- October 11: Benji Bright The Dervish Dance of Gender: Reading Xan West’s Show Yourself to Me
- October 12: Tamsin Flowers An Interview With Xan West and Karida Show Yourself To Me
- October 13: Cassandra Perry The Beauty of Falling for Essex by Xan West, My Favorite Quotes from Xan West’s ‘Show Yourself to Me’, and The Vulnerable Sincerity of Queer Kink Erotica
- October 14: Peep Scoop Review: Show Yourself To Me and Radical Access Mapping Project Making My Kinky Erotica Accessible to Survivors
- October 15: Sugar Cunt Show Yourself to Me by Xan West
- October 16: Emily Byrne Where Matters: Writing Queer Public Sex
- October 17: Oleander Plume Guest Star: Xan West Show Yourself To Me Blog Tour
- October 18: K. A. Smith Show Yourself To Me
- October 19: Giselle Renarde On Doing, and Writing, Blood Sports
- October 20: Butchtastic Kyle Interview with Xan West and Book Review: Show Yourself To Me
- October 21: Lisabet Sarai Liking It Rough (A Post for International Fisting Day)
- October 22: Syrens Nuts, Bolts, & Decisions: An Interview on #Writing #Erotica with #ShowYourselfToMe Author Xan West
- October 23: Anna Sky Editing to Include Top Vulnerability
- October 24: Jade A. Waters For The Love of Boots
- October 25: Ashley Young Review of Xan West’s Show Yourself to Me: Missing Daddy
and Erin Kyan Show Yourself to Me, Xan West’s New Anthology
- October 26: Rebekah Weatherspoon The Spaces Between Desire and Action
- October 27: Malin James Review: Show Yourself To Me and Dario Dalla Lasta Show Yourself To Me
- October 28: BD Swain http://www.bdswain.com/ and Jillian Boyd https://jillianboydauthor.wordpress.com/
- October 29: Kaleigh Trace http://thefuckingfacts.com/
- October 30: Kiki DeLovely https://kikidelovely.wordpress.com/
- October 31: Xan West https://xanwest.wordpress.com/ and Annabeth Leong http://annabetherotica.com/
Buy Show Yourself to Me: Queer Kink Erotica from: